Driving Without Insurance
Shrewsbury Attorney: Driving Without Insurance
In New Jersey the penalties for driving with no insurance are greater than those for a first offense drunk driving or marijuana possession charge.
If you are convicted of driving without insurance you will automatically lose your license for one year; pay more than $1000 in fines, court costs, and surcharges; and be sentenced to community service. It is important to get legal advice as soon as you are charged. If you would like to speak with a lawyer from our Monmouth County firm, contact our office and arrange a free consultation. Our defense attorney will explain how we may be able to help.
Defense to a charge of operating without insurance
At The Law Offices of John F. Marshall, our attorneys consider each case unique, and work to find a unique solution. When crafting a defense to a charge of driving without insurance your lawyer will consider questions such as the following:
- Was your motor vehicle insurance canceled without your knowledge, or because an agent failed to forward your payment?
- Were you driving a car owned by someone who was visiting New Jersey or had recently moved to the state?
- Were you ever notified of your policy being canceled?
- Did you think you were insured under a policy owned by another member of your household?
- "Operation" is defined differently for an insurance issue than in a case involving drunk driving or driving under the influence of drugs. Were you truly operating the uninsured vehicle?
- Will the court amend the charges to "failure to exhibit documents" if you have a valid insurance card by the time you go to court?
If you have been charged with driving without insurance, you can only make a well-informed decision about how to proceed after discussing your case with an attorney with the appropriate experience. If you would like to speak with a traffic lawyer from our firm, call 1-877-450-8301 or e-mail our Shrewsbury office to arrange a free consultation.
The Law Offices of John F. Marshall
Monmouth County Lawyers
Our lawyers represent clients in a wide variety of cases, defending them in Monmouth County, Ocean County, and Middlesex County municipal and superior courts against charges including the following: