Our Team of Experienced Jersey City Handgun Defense Lawyers Include Former Prosecutors Who Served As The Director of Major Crimes and The Guns Task Force. Contact Our Jersey City Office Across From The Hudson County Courthouse At 201-309-0500 For A Free Consultation.
Jersey City ranks second in population in the state with approximately 250,000 residents so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that its one of the busiest jurisdictions in New Jersey for handgun charges. Whether a handgun offense involves a trucker trying to pass through the Holland Tunnel with a weapon licensed in another state, someone accused of trafficking firearms, a revolver seized in conjunction with a CDS arrest, someone with a permit out of New York or the result of any number of other scenarios, failure to possess a carry permit is potentially devastating. The gun laws in New Jersey create an extremely high threshold for avoiding a significant state prison term once you are charged with unlawful possession of a handgun. This is a situation where you not only need to hire an attorney but one who has extensive experience in defending handgun offenses.
We are the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, one of the state’s largest criminal defense firms. Our staff of criminal lawyers includes former county prosecutors who have served in top roles, including as director of major crimes, as well as the guns task force. Make sure you take a long hard look at the qualifications of the attorneys you are considering. How long have they been practicing? Are they someone who has actually even completed a jury trial involving a handgun? You would truly be shocked at just how many of the internet marketers lack any real experience once you take a close look. The attorneys at our firm possess over 150 years in practice, have conducted countless jury trials and include members who are certified criminal trial attorneys. If you have been accused of possession of an illegal handgun in Jersey City, do not risk your liberty by hiring a lawyer with limited experience, call 201-309-0500.
The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, 574 Newark Avenue, Suite 204A, Jersey City, New Jersey, defend handgun charges at the Hudson County Courthouse, 595 Newark Avenue, Jersey City, New Jersey, including those arising as the result of arrests in Bayonne, Secaucus, Hoboken, Weehawken, West New York, North Bergen, Kearny, Guttenberg, Union City and Harrison.
Handgun Offense in Jersey City New Jersey
There are three factors that are the primary reasons why Jersey City has so many handgun related charges in the opinion of our attorneys. First, the city is one of the most densely populated municipalities in the state. Second, all firearm violations filed in Hudson County are sent to Jersey City because that is where the Hudson County Superior Court is located. Third, the municipality is a major traffic artery to New York and other destination in the Northeast. The result is hundreds of firearm cases involving handguns that are pending every year in Jersey City. We are well aware of this fact as lawyers who routinely defend criminal charges at the county courthouse located directly across the street from our office. An attorney at our office can help you with any gun crime you may be facing, including:
- Unlawful Possession of a Weapon. The most common handgun charge in Jersey City is unlawful possession of a weapon. This offense is directed at the knowing possession or use of a handgun when a permit to carry is lacking. This is typically a second degree crime that carries up to 10 years in prison and a significant period of parole ineligibility. For more information on this violation, click here.
- Possession of a Weapon for an Unlawful Purpose. Another variety of handgun case that arises frequently in Jersey City is possession of a handgun for an unlawful purpose. This charge contemplates not only possession of an illegal gun but also an intent by the possessor to his it in a criminal manner. If you were like more information on this crime, click here.
- Certain Person Not To Possess a Weapon. When someone is convicted of a crime involving domestic violence, assault offenses, CDS possession and distribution and many other indictable charges, they are considered a “certain person”. This term refers to a class of individuals that cannot possess a weapon under any circumstance without being exposed to a criminal charge for being a certain person in possession of a handgun or other weapon. A detailed discuss of this offense can be found here.
- Defaced Handguns & Other Firearms. It is illegal to “remove, deface, cover, alter or destroy the name of the maker, model designation, manufacturer’s serial number or any other distinguishing identification mark or number on any firearm.” If you were charged with defacing a handgun, you face a third degree crime. It is a fourth degree crime to buy, receive, dispose or conceal a defaced firearm.
- BB & Pellet Guns. While unlawful possession of a handgun is a second degree crime, the degree of charge is reduced to a third degree crime where the firearm is powered by air, elastic or a spring like a BB or Pellet handgun.
- High Capacity Magazines. You can be charged with a fourth degree crime for possessing a high capacity magazine. A conviction for this offense results in a fine that can reach $10,000 and up to 18 months in prison at the county courthouse in Jersey City.
- Illegal Transport of a Handgun
- Hollow Point Ammunition
If you were charged with any of these offenses and are facing a related Jersey City handgun charge, the lawyers at our firm have decades of experience to enlist in order to achieve an acquittal on your behalf.
Handgun Attorney in Jersey City New Jersey
Representation by a knowledgeable handgun attorney is an imperative for anyone charged with a weapon offense of this nature. The attorneys at the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall possess the skills that are required to mount the proper defense of your gun charges. To speak to a lawyer about the facts of your case and learn what we can accomplish to avoid a conviction, contact our Jersey City Office. Lawyers are available any time of day or night to help you with questions, discuss a detention hearing or any other need.