Experienced Former Prosecutors With A Track Record Of Success Defending Voorhees Shoplifting Charges
Voorhees has more shoplifting than most municipalities in Camden County. The majority of the charges stem from retail theft at Voorhees Town Center where both Macy’s and Boscov’s are located. Kohl’s is another significant source of arrests. If you were charged with shoplifting in Voorhees NJ, our staff of criminal attorneys has the qualities you need to successfully defend your case, including:
- Over 200 years of combined experience representing clients charged with shoplifting in Voorhees
- A team of 10 lawyers that specializes exclusively in criminal defense
- Former county and municipal prosecutors
- Certified criminal trial attorneys
An attorney on our start is prepared to conduct a comprehensive review of the circumstances of your case and formulate an effective plan to avoid a conviction under N.J.S.A. 2C:20-11. An attorney is available 24/7 to assist you in a free initial consultation by contacting our Cherry Hill or Camden Office at 856-662-8300.
Shoplifting Offense in Voorhees Township
Shoplifting is a serious offense because a conviction not only carries serious penalties but also results in a criminal record. This is why you should do anything you can to escape a plea or finding of guilty to a shoplifting offense in Voorhees Township Municipal Court or at the Camden County Superior Court. This will require raising reasonable doubt that you committed an act of shoplifting, such as:
- Taking possession of property with the intention of depriving the merchant of its value;
- Concealing merchandise;
- Altering price tags or labels of merchandise;
- Changing the container of merchandise;
- Under-ringing merchandise; or
- Removing shopping carts from the property of the merchant.
A key to successfully avoiding a conviction is hiring a Camden County shoplifting attorney that is not only knowledgeable but committed to doing whatever it will take to reach the best outcome of your charge. This means pressing the merchant for all internal discovery, including loss reports and surveillance videos, and insisting that the prosecutor prove each and every element of the offense.
Penalties If Convicted. The severity of the penalties for shoplifting hinges on the value of the merchandise stolen.
- It is a second degree crime to commit retail theft of property having a value of $75,000 or more. Second degree shoplifting carries a period of incarceration of 5-10 years and a maximum fine of $150,000.
- The potential penalties for third degree shoplifting include a fine of up to $15,000 and a prison term that can reach 5 years. This third degree crime applies where the theft involves a theft of at least $500 but less than $75,000.
- Stealing merchandise with a value of at least $200 but less than $500 is a fourth degree crime that results in up to 18 months in state prison and a fine as high as $10,000.
- The lowest grade of shoplifting is a disorderly persons offense which is typically handled in Voorhees Municipal Court. You can be fined $1,000 and be sentenced to up to 6 months in the Camden County Jail for a disorderly persons offense of shoplifting.
- There is a mandatory jail term of at least 90 days that applies, irrespective of the grade of shoplifting, for third or subsequent conviction.
You should also know that New Jersey has diversion programs that our attorneys can explore, on top of presenting a potent defense and persuasive negotiating, in order to allow you avoid a conviction under 2C:20-11. If you were charged with a third degree or fourth degree crime for shoplifting in Voorhees, we can apply for Pretrial Intervention. For a disorderly persons offense for shoplifting, the applicable program is Conditional Dismissal. Successful completion of either of these diversions results in dismissal of the original charge without a conviction or penalties.
Voorhees NJ Shoplifting Lawyer
Shoplifting is definitely not an offense you want to take lightly since the ramifications of an unfavorable result can be extreme. Having a record for stealing can mushroom into difficulty obtaining or maintaining a professional license (e.g. teaching certification, nursing license, NASD, CPA, etc.), securing employment, or even maintaining your immigration status. Hiring a lawyer skilled in defending Voorhees shoplifting charges is therefore in your best interests. The attorneys at our firm are here to represent you in this capacity. We have the knowledge and experience to get results. Call us at 856-662-8300 for immediate assistance.