Burlington NJ Shoplifting Attorneys
With major shopping centers like the Burlington Center Mall and Moorestown within its borders, there is plenty of opportunity to shoplifting charges in Burlington County. While most of these offenses will fall within the category of a disorderly persons offense, there are also many third degree and fourth degree violations falling under the jurisdiction of the Burlington County Superior Court in Mt. Holly NJ. What this means for you is that all you had to do is get caught trying to steal merchandise valued at $200 or more and you are looking at an indictable felony charge at the county level. The charge can even escalate to a Robbery with mandatory parole ineligibility if you pushed a clerk or someone else to escape apprehension. Our firm handles all Burlington County shoplifting charges including those arising in Deptford, Moorestown, Mount Laurel, Florence, Pemberton, Medford and in other towns in the county. Let us put our decades of experience, including years serving as prosecutors, to the test for you. We are confident that we can achieve the same positive outcomes that our existing clients have enjoyed. Call our Mt. Laurel Office to reach an attorney on our 100 plus year experienced team. We can be reached 24/7 at (856) 234-8900.
Shoplifting Offense in Burlington County
Considering the variety of ways a person can steal valuable goods from a retailer, New Jersey law defines shoplifting to include six forms of conduct.
- Taking merchandise without consent;
- Concealing merchandise;
- Altering or transfer of a price tag;
- Transferring merchandise into a different box or container;
- Under ringing of merchandise; and
- Removal of a shopping cart.
If an individual engages in any one of the six (6), he/she may be convicted of shoplifting. If the full retail value of the merchandise involved in the theft is $75,000 or more, the violation is a second degree crime. It is a third degree crime to shoplift goods with a value of more than $500 but less than $75,000. Fourth degree shoplifting is triggered where the merchandise stolen has a value of at least $200 but less than $500. Shoplifting goods with a value of less than $200 is a disorderly persons offense.
Penalties for Shoplifting
The penalties that you face at the time of sentencing hinge on the grade of your charge as well as your prior record. The following is the breakdown on shoplifting penalties:
- Disorderly Persons Offense for Shoplifting. Any person convicted of this grade of shoplifting must perform community service. The term of community service is 10 days for a first offense, at least 15 days for a second offense and 25 days for a third or subsequent offense. There is also a mandatory minimum jail term that applies if you are convicted of your third or greater shoplifting offense. The period of incarceration is a minimum of 90 days. This means that a disorderly persons shoplifting conviction that may have involved only $5 dollars of merchandise could result in prison for at least 90 days if you have been convicted of shoplifting twice prior.
- Fourth Degree. An individual convicted of a fourth degree crime for shoplifting faces 18 months in prison and a $10,000 fine.
- Third Degree. Shoplifting in the third degree can result in up to 5 years in prison (i.e. presumptive term of 3-5 years) and a fine of up to $15,000.
- Second Degree. Shoplifting violations of this grade are rare and carry 5-10 years in state prison and a maximum fine of $150,000.
Moorestown Shoplifting Defense Lawyer
An unfortunate byproduct of shoplifting is the criminal record that can result. Any form of dishonesty is frowned upon by employers so it certainly is not in your best interests to sit idle if you have been charged with shoplifting. The same is true if you want to maintain your immigration status since a conviction has the potential to affect your visa or green card. So call our attorneys if you were caught shoplifting in Moorestown, Westhampton, Evesham, Moorestown, Pemberton or another municipal. An attorney highly skilled in shoplifting defense is ready to assist you at our Mt. Laurel Office now at (856) 234-8900.