Union City NJ Juvenile Defense Attorneys

We Have A Team of Former Prosecutors With Over 200 Years Experience To Ensure That Your Juvenile Offense Is Resolved Favorably

As a parent, you want what is best for your child and will do whatever you can to keep your child safe and out of harm’s way. If your child is arrested and/or charged with a violation of the criminal code,  protecting your child from harm begins by retaining the services of talented New Jersey juvenile defense lawyer capable of ensuring that your child’s rights are protected. A skillful lawyer understands the importance of advocating for diversion options that may keep the matter from becoming a formal complaint in the Hudson County Superior Court.

The defense team at the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall has more than 200 years of experience representing children and teenagers accused of committing juvenile offenses. Their unsurpassed knowledge of the New Jersey Code of Juvenile Justice combined with their outstanding courtroom skills and compassion make them staunch advocates for protection of the rights of the children they represent. Parents of the children we represent appreciate the time we spend with them and their children to explain the juvenile court process and procedures and discuss the options available for their child. We carefully develop an effective defense strategy to achieve the most favorable outcome possible for your child.

Speak with a Union City juvenile lawyer from our Jersey City office to learn more about how we can help by calling us now at (201) 309-0500 for a free and confidential initial consultation.

Juvenile Offense in Union City New Jersey

When someone under 18 years of age commits an act that violates New Jersey criminal law, the matter is handled according to the procedures and rules of the New Jersey Code of Juvenile Justice. Offenses frequently committed by juveniles include the following:

  • Aggravated Assault
  • Terroristic Threats
  • Harassment and Bullying
  • Criminal Mischief
  • Possession of Marijuana, LSD, Xanax, Cocaine & Other Drugs
  • Distribution of CDS
  • DWI & DUI
  • Burglary
  • Robbery
  • Weapon Possession (e.g. Handgun, BB gun, etc.)
  • Sex Crimes

A teenager at least 15 years of age who commits murder, kidnapping, robbery or other serious criminal offense may lose the protection of the family court and have the case transferred or waived to an adult criminal court. The prosecution has the right to file a petition in Hudson County Family Court requesting waiver.

We aggressively fight waiver requests by demanding a hearing at which the prosecution must present evidence establishing probable cause that accused committed the criminal offense. In addition to challenging the prosecution evidence, we also present available evidence to prove the existence of factors weighing in favor of keeping the case in family court, including the age and maturity of the child, extent of the child’s participation in the crime, and any other evidence that may persuade the judge to retain jurisdiction because of the potential for rehabilitation.

Most juvenile delinquency cases that remain in family court involve drinking and drug offenses, vandalism, shoplifting, fighting and bullying, sex offenses and computer crimes. Children accused of juvenile delinquency have the right to an adjudication hearing where the prosecution must prove the allegations. We ensure the protection of your child’s rights at the hearing by challenging witnesses and using legal defenses to attack the evidence.

Penalties in Union City Juvenile Cases

A child accused of juvenile delinquency in family court has the right to a hearing where the prosecution must present evidence proving the allegations. If the prosecution succeeds, the matter into the disposition phases where a judge decides the best course of action to achieve rehabilitation, including:

  • Probation supervision
  • Confinement to a juvenile facility
  • Restitution
  • Community service
  • Substance abuse and mental health screening and treatment
  • Participation in academic or vocational programs

It is important to keep in mind that diversion and deferred disposition programs exist that could keep a child’s case out of the court. Some of the programs allow a child to have the case dismissed by complying with conditions set by the court within a specified amount of time. We explore the availability of programs for which your child might be eligible and actively pursue them as an alternative to an adjudication of delinquency.

Union City Juvenile Attorneys

The lawyers at the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall gives you peace of mind knowing that your child is represented by an experienced and skilled advocate dedicated achieving the best outcome possible. Call us now at (201) 309-0500 for a free consultation with one of our attorneys. Someone is available to speak with you 24 hours a day and 365 days a year.