Juvenile Offenses

NJ Juvenile Crime Lawyer

If your child or teenager has been charged with a juvenile offense it is critically important to work with an attorney who has extensive knowledge of New Jersey juvenile law. Do not allow your child to answer any questions or be interviewed by police or investigators until an attorney is present. If you would like to speak with a member of our criminal law practice, the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, please contact our law firm to arrange a free consultation with a lawyer with the appropriate experience. We handle these cases throughout NJ including Middlesex County, Union County, Monmouth County, Ocean County, Mercer County, Somerset County, Essex County and Hudson County.

We represent juveniles accused of all types of crimes, including:

Where should a juvenile crime case be heard?

Juvenile cases, those involving offenders under 18 years old, begin in family court. In cases involving serious crimes such as armed robbery, the prosecutor may ask the court to waive the case up to adult criminal court.

Juvenile court is designed to rehabilitate youthful offenders, and the judge may decide to divert the case, sending it to a Juvenile Conference Committee or taking another measure to resolve the case through restitution, community service, job placement, or another rehabilitative measure.

In the criminal court system, the emphasis is on punishment and a conviction may result in the minor being sentenced to a term in an adult prison. However, only in the criminal justice system does the accused have a right to a trial by jury. Our attorneys will consider all aspects of the case and our client’s personal goals before recommending whether to fight a waiver to criminal court, to accept a plea bargain, or to go to trial.

Do convictions disappear when a juvenile turns 18?

A conviction remains on a convicted person’s record for life, unless his or her lawyer formally files a motion to have the record sealed (expunged). We can help you with the process of having your criminal record sealed.

Juvenile crimes and escalation

  • If a student strikes a teacher or a police officer, the charge is automatically aggravated assault, rather than simple assault.
  • Graffiti carries penalties including the loss of drivers’ license.
  • Juveniles, unlike adults, may be declared delinquent.
  • Juveniles accused of marijuana possession face the loss of their drivers’ licenses and mandatory fines.

A youthful error does not need to ruin a life. If you know of a juvenile who has been arrested or charged with any type of crime, remind the person to exercise your right to remain silent. Call toll free 1-877-450-8301 or e-mail our New Jersey law firm to arrange a free consultation with a criminal defense attorney. We welcome the opportunity to represent you and your child in Monmouth County, Union County, Middlesex County, Somerset County, Mercer County, Hudson County, Ocean County or Essex County.

Please feel free to consult our Supplemental Juvenile Pages:

The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall

Servicios del intérprete disponibles – Spanish translation services available.