Shrewsbury Attorney: Driving Without Insurance
In New Jersey, the penalties for driving with no insurance are greater than those for a first offense drunk driving or marijuana possession charge.
If you are convicted of driving without insurance you will automatically lose your license for one year; pay more than $1000 in fines, court costs, surcharges, and be sentenced to community service. It is important to get legal advice as soon as you are charged. If you would like to speak with a lawyer from our Monmouth County firm, contact our office and arrange a free consultation. Our defense attorney will explain how we may be able to help.
Defense to a charge of operating without insurance
At the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, our attorneys consider each case unique, and work to find a unique solution. When crafting a defense to a charge of driving without insurance your lawyer will consider questions such as the following:
- Was your motor vehicle insurance canceled without your knowledge, or because an agent failed to forward your payment?
- Were you driving a car owned by someone who was visiting New Jersey or had recently moved to the state?
- Were you ever notified of your policy being canceled?
- Did you think you were insured under a policy owned by another member of your household?
- “Operation” is defined differently for an insurance issue than in a case involving drunk driving or driving under the influence of drugs. Were you truly operating the uninsured vehicle?
- Will the court amend the charges to “failure to exhibit documents” if you have a valid insurance card by the time you go to court?
If you have been charged with driving without insurance, you can only make a well-informed decision about how to proceed after discussing your case with an attorney with the appropriate experience. If you would like to speak with a traffic lawyer from our firm, call 1-877-450-8301 or e-mail our Shrewsbury office to arrange a free consultation.
The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall Monmouth County Lawyers
Traffic · DUI/DWI · Criminal Defense
Our lawyers represent clients in a wide variety of cases, defending them in Monmouth County, Ocean County, and Middlesex County municipal and superior courts against charges including the following: