Table of Contents
If you or a loved one has been charged with a criminal offense or a serious traffic violation like DWI in Deptford Township, New Jersey, do not hesitate to contact the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall. Jonathan F. Marshall and his team of criminal defense lawyers have over 200 years of combined experience representing clients in Deptford Municipal Court, as well as the Gloucester County Superior Court. The attorneys at our law firm have the tools to ensure you achieve a favorable resolution to your first offense DWI, simple assault, resisting arrest or another charge. The qualifications that we bring to the table include:
- Team of ten (10) attorneys that specialize and limit their practice to representing individuals accused of violating the criminal and motor vehicle code.
- Former county that have served in high level positions like Director of Major Crimes, Special Operations, Juvenile Division, Drugs Task Force and even the entire Trial Division.
- Former municipal prosecutors who have handled thousands of disorderly persons offenses, DWI and traffic tickets in over 25 towns in which they served.
- DWI Defense Department that is headed by one the handful of lawyers in the state whose practice is limited exclusively to drunk and drugged driving cases.
- Members whose experience is so extensive that they are certified criminal trial attorneys. This honor is enjoyed by less than 2% of the licensed attorneys in New Jersey.
- Thousands of success stories of favorable outcomes in DWI, traffic and criminal cases arising in Deptford Township and elsewhere in the state.
A lawyer is available to discuss the facts of your offense and the defense strategy(s) we can utilize to successfully defend you Deptford case. For additional information or to arrange a free consultation, contact our Gloucester County Office (856) 818-4770.
Deptford Township NJ Marijuana Possession Lawyer
Deptford Township is located in Gloucester County, NJ, with a population of more than 30,000 people. The township includes several communities: Westville Grove, Blackwood Terrace, Oak Valley, Almonesson, Jericho, Salina, Good Intent, and Garvenville Center. Parts of Deptford Township have been used to create Washington Township, Wenonah, West Deptford Township, Westville, Woodbury Borough, and Woodbury Heights. The Deptford Mall, the 7th-largest shopping mall in the State of New Jersey, is a major part of the township’s business district.
The Deptford Township Municipal Court handles disorderly persons offenses, petty disorderly persons offenses, traffic summonses, and municipal ordinance violations. Meanwhile, more serious indictable felony charges are handled in the Gloucester County Superior Court, which is located in Woodbury, New Jersey.
Other Helpful Links and Information about Deptford Township
- To learn more about Deptford Township, see the Deptford Township website.
- The Deptford Township Police Department is located at 1011 Cooper Street. They can be reached by calling 856-845-2220. For more information about the Deptford Township Police Department, go to their website.
- For news and information specific to Gloucester County, visit the NJ.com website.
Contact a Deptford Township NJ DWI Lawyer for a Free Consultation
We certainly appreciate the turmoil that a criminal arrest or serious traffic violation can cause. If you’ve been arrested for a criminal offense or DWI offense in Deptford Township, NJ, contact The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall today for a free consultation. One of our experienced criminal defense lawyers will be happy to speak with you about your case and discuss your options. You can reach our NJ office anytime by calling 877-450-8301.
The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, 38 Cooper St Suite 204, Woodbury, NJ 08096, defends charges in Deptford Municipal Court and the Gloucester County Superior Court, including simple assault, harassment, resisting arrest, shoplifting, theft, obstructing, DWI, driving while suspended, reckless driving, aggravated assault, eluding, terroristic threat, endangering the welfare of a child, credit card fraud/theft, theft by deception, burglary, robbery, sexual assault, domestic violence and possession of an illegal weapon or handgun.
Deptford Court Information
The Deptford Township Municipal Court is located at 1011 Cooper Street in Deptford Township, NJ. The court office is open Monday-Friday 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM, and can be contacted directly at 856-686-2230.
- William Golden is the Judge.
- Adam Malamut is the Prosecutor.
- Shannon Sawyer is the Court Administrator.
- Court Sessions: Wednesday 8AM (Traffic), 10AM (Criminal)
For additional information about the Deptford Township Municipal Court, check out their official website.
Disorderly Persons Offense in Deptford
The grade of criminal charge heard in Deptford Municipal Court is called a disorderly persons offense. Do not be mistaken into believing that this type of violation is the equivalent to a fine because this is a wrong assumption. A conviction for a disorderly persons offense in Deptford or anywhere else results in a criminal record that will appear on any background check performed by an employer, licensing board or other entity. It is therefore important that you do your very best to avoid a conviction. The lawyers at our firm are ready to assist you with any charge of this nature, including:
- Possession of 50 grams or less of marijuana
- Shoplifting ($200 or less in value)
- Simple Assault
- Bad Check
- Obstructing the Administration of Law
- Resisting Arrest
- Disorderly Conduct
- Criminal Mischief
Indictable Crime in Deptford
An indictable crime is a criminal offense that mandates indictment by a Grand Jury before someone can stand trial on a charge. This right is triggered when someone is charged with a crime of the first degree, second degree, third degree or fourth degree. These types of cases are commonly considered “felonies” although the New Jersey Criminal Code does not use this categorization. Your case will be heard at the Gloucester County Superior Court in Woodbury if you have been charged with a first, second, third or fourth degree crime. The most common violations heard at the county courthouse falling within this category are:
- Aggravated Assault
- Violation of a Restraining Order (i.e. Criminal Contempt)
- Terroristic Threat
- Drug Possession involving Cocaine, LSD, Heroin & Other CDS (other than small amounts of Marijuana & Hashish)
- Distribution of any CDS/Drug
- Theft by Deception
- Credit Card Theft/Fraud
- Possession of an Illegal Handgun
- Endangering the Welfare of a Child
Deptford DWI Charge
Driving while intoxicated (“DWI”) and driving under the influence of drugs (“DUI”) under N.J.S.A. 39:4-50 are frequently encountered in Deptford Township Municipal Court. An individual violates this law if they operator a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration (“BAC”) of .08% or above, or while under the influence of a mood altering drug or substance. The severity of the penalties for either pedigree of this offense hinges on the prior record of the defendant. A conviction for DWI/DUI results in the following suspension and jail time at the time of sentencing in Deptford or another municipal court:
- First Offense. A first offense for DUI carries 7-12 months suspension and so does a DWI where the BAC is .10% or above. A first offense with a BAC of at least .08% but less than .10% results in one year suspension.
- Second Offense. The period of suspension/revocation is two years and the jail term is 2-90 days.
- Third or Subsequent Offense. The period of incarceration is 180 days and the suspension period is 10 years.
The penalties for driving while intoxicated/under the influence also include stiff fines, surcharges and court assessments, in addition to increased insurance costs. It is certainly in an individual’s best interests to retain a highly skilled Deptford DWI Lawyer if arrested for DWI/DUI.
Deptford Traffic Tickets
The highest volume of charges in Deptford involve a violation of the NJ motor vehicle code. These offenses are commonly referred to as traffic tickets or motor vehicle summonses. Please note that while these citations are heard in Deptford Municipal Court, the court has no authority delve into points and surcharges as these matters fall within the administrative authority of the New Jersey Division of Motor Vehicles. Some of the more frequently arising tickets/summonses are:
- Possession of CDS in a Motor Vehicle
- Driving While Suspended
- Reckless Driving
- Careless Driving
- Improper Passing
- Leaving the Scene of an Accident
- Failure to Observe a Trafficking Safety or Control Device
The biggest issue our attorneys encounter with traffic tickets in Deptford and other locations in the state is the snowball effect of a motorist failing to properly deal with tickets in the past. You absolutely need to do your best to avert points, surcharges, administrative suspensions and other consequences of a traffic offense, otherwise, you will be feeling the punch for years to come. A savvy traffic lawyer can almost always avoid ramifications like those we are speaking about.
Domestic Violence Charges in Deptford
The municipality of Deptford has approximately 30,000 residents so it makes sense that there are plenty of domestic incidents that result in an arrest. Cases like these result in a criminal charge, a temporary restraining or, as is often the situation, both issues. Whether you were issued a restraining order, a domestic violence offense or are facing parallel proceedings in the Family Division of the Gloucester County Superior Court and in criminal court, you definitely need to retain an attorney that is skilled in defending domestic violence charges. The reason is because failure to win a final restraining order hearing will forever bar you from contact with the victim, the residence you may have previously enjoyed and also expose you to immediate arrest if you violate the restraining order. Criminal charges for simple assault, harassment, terroristic threat, aggravated assault or another domestic conflict in Deptford Township will also impact your future by leaving you with a record that can impact your ability to obtain a professional license, maintain your immigration status and in many other respects. The lawyers at the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall are here to make sure that this does not occur.
Directions to Deptford Municipal Court
From the New Jersey Turnpike: Take Exit 3 to merge onto NJ Route 168 South (North Black Horse Pike). In 1.8 miles, turn right onto NJ Route 41 South (West Clements Bridge Road). You will bear slightly right in 1.1 miles onto Clements Bridge Road. Turn right onto Cooper Street and the municipal court will be to your left in .3 miles.
From US Route 295: Take Exit 28 for NJ Route 168 (Bellmawr/Runnemede/Mount Ephraim). Turn left onto NJ Route 168 North (North Black Horse Pike) and right onto US Route 295 South (Walt Whitman/Delaware Memorial Bridge). Take the exit for Delaware Memorial Bridge/Atlantic City in .8 miles. Keep left at the fork and proceed to NJ Route 42 South (Atlantic City/North-South Freeway). Take exit 12 toward Woodbury in 2.4 miles. Continue on Clements Bridge Road. Drive to Cooper St